WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Rick Scott released the below statement amid continued concerning reports of increased inflation. As the prices of every day goods go up, the Biden Administration continues to push radical spending plans that would increase the average taxes owed by families making less than $500,000 by $1,600 per year for ten years - a total of $16,000 in new taxes owed over the next decade.
Senator Rick Scott said, “I’ve been warning about the risks of out-of-control spending for years. When Joe Biden took office, I immediately urged caution on more government spending that would drive up inflation. Biden and the Democrats didn’t want to listen and now we’re seeing the consequences. Gas prices are going up. Food prices are going up. Costs are rising at every step in the production of goods – costs that get passed on to consumers. These increases directly impact Americans and the decisions they make for their families every single day. When I was growing up, my family struggled to make ends meet and put food on the table as prices went up. This isn’t something the Biden Administration can ignore and this isn’t the time to raise taxes on American families to pay for reckless and unnecessary government spending.
“We are at a pivotal moment for our nation. The latest Consumer Price Index and Producer Price Index numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics come out this week, and they will likely show more of the same: prices are drastically rising for families in Florida and across the nation. It’s time for President Biden to admit that inflation is happening and its affecting the quality of life for American families. We need to stop the reckless spending, pay down the debt and get our nation on track so every family can succeed.”
Since being elected to the U.S. Senate, Senator Scott has repeatedly urged action to address America’s debt crisis and the harmful effects of inflation:
- May 6, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Families on the Hook for $16,000 in Tax Hikes this Decade to Pay for Biden’s Spending
- May 5, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott in the Wall Street Journal: Inflation Is More of a Threat Than the Fed Says
- May 4, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Biden: Tell the Truth About Taxing American Families
- April 29, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Federal Reserve: With Economy Recovering, Stop Manipulating Market with Treasury & Bond Buys
- April 28, 2021: VIDEO RELEASE Sen. Rick Scott’s Request For Inflation Crisis Information Blocked by Democrats: What Are They Hiding?
- April 23, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Americans are Worried About Rising Inflation – Biden Must Take Action
- April 14, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Biden Administration Lying About Threat of Inflation
- April 13, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Biden and Powell: Wake Up and Address Growing Inflation Now
- April 9, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Biden’s Inflation Ignorance is Unacceptable, Hurts Families
- April 2, 2021: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT… Sen. Rick Scott in Washington Post: Where’s the anti-inflation plan, Mr. Powell?
- March 24, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Federal Reserve: What’s Your Plan to Address America’s Debt Crisis?
- March 17, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: We’re Watching Federal Reserve & President Biden’s Response to Inflation
- March 4, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to National Economic Council: What’s Biden’s Plan to Stop Inflation?
- February 23, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Fed Chairman Jay Powell Must Address Rising Inflation
- February 16, 2021: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT… Sen. Rick Scott in the Tampa Bay Times: America Can’t Keep Spending Without Consequence, We Must Address Our Debt Crisis Now
- February 11, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Colleagues: Inflation from Unsustainable Federal Debt Hurts American Families
- February 3, 2021: VIDEO RELEASE: Sen. Rick Scott: Congress Must Address Our National Debt and Rein in Spending
- January 26, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Congress Must Get Serious About America's Debt
- May 4, 2020: After coronavirus, for US to survive, we must tackle looming debt crisis: Sen. Rick Scott
- February 5, 2020: Sen. Rick Scott to Chairman Powell: Take Action to Roll Back Growing Size of Federal Reserve’s Balance Sheet
- August 1, 2019: Sen. Rick Scott: Debt will destroy our country, if we let it