WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, as the Biden Administration continues to ignore America’s $28 trillion federal debt, Senator Rick Scott released the following statement calling on Brian Deese, Director of the National Economic Council, to explain the Administration’s plan to mitigate and prevent growing inflation, which has negative and disproportionate impacts on low and fixed-income families.
Senator Rick Scott said, “America is in a $28 trillion debt crisis and it seems that the Biden Administration couldn’t care less. With our nation moving toward a dangerous future of increased inflation, President Biden and Democrats in Congress insist on pushing a wasteful $1.9 trillion ‘COVID’ spending bill that funds liberal priorities while hiking our federal debt to nearly $30 trillion. The partisan actions of Congressional Democrats and the Biden Administration have real life consequences for Americans.
“As the federal debt continues to rise, so will inflation. For American families that means rising costs on everyday necessities, like groceries and gas. I completely agree that relief is needed, but it has to consider our debt and fund only what is necessary for those in need. I grew up in public housing and watched my parents struggle to find work and make ends meet. I never want a family to go through what mine did growing up and I know that the last thing hurting families need is to worry about higher prices on our most essential goods.
“That’s why today, I am calling on National Economic Council Director Brian Deese to immediately present to Congress the Biden Administration’s plan to mitigate and prevent runaway inflation. American families cannot afford for business as usual to continue in Washington. The $28 trillion federal debt and rising inflation is a real crisis that hurts real Americans and warrants the immediate attention of the Biden Administration. I look forward to Director Deese’s prompt response and working with the White House and my colleagues in Congress to properly address America’s debt crisis.”
Since being elected to the U.S. Senate, Senator Scott has repeatedly urged action to address America’s debt crisis and the harmful effects of inflation:
- February 23, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Fed Chairman Jay Powell Must Address Rising Inflation
- February 16, 2021: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT… Sen. Rick Scott in the Tampa Bay Times: America Can’t Keep Spending Without Consequence, We Must Address Our Debt Crisis Now
- February 11, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to Colleagues: Inflation from Unsustainable Federal Debt Hurts American Families
- February 3, 2021: VIDEO RELEASE: Sen. Rick Scott: Congress Must Address Our National Debt and Rein in Spending
- January 26, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Congress Must Get Serious About America's Debt
- May 4, 2020: After coronavirus, for US to survive, we must tackle looming debt crisis: Sen. Rick Scott
- February 5, 2020: Sen. Rick Scott to Chairman Powell: Take Action to Roll Back Growing Size of Federal Reserve’s Balance Sheet
- August 1, 2019: Sen. Rick Scott: Debt will destroy our country, if we let it