Sen. Rick Scott: Biden Must be Held Accountable for Afghanistan Failure & Stranding Americans
September 7, 2021
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, as the Taliban names its new “leadership,” which includes well-known terrorists Mohammad Hasan Akhund and Sarajuddin Haqqani, and Americans remain stranded and in danger behind enemy lines, Senator Rick Scott released the below statement again demanding accountability and a congressional investigation into President Joe Biden’s failed withdrawal from Afghanistan. It has been three weeks since Senator Scott first called on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to launch a bipartisan and bicameral investigation. Neither have taken any action to hold President Biden or his administration accountable.
Senator Rick Scott said, “President Biden’s complete incompetence, dereliction of duty and failure in Afghanistan resulted in the deadliest day for U.S. troops in over a decade. Now, even as we receive reports of brutal executions, Americans remain stranded and unable to leave Afghanistan and the Taliban names known terrorists to its leadership, Biden’s administration continues to call them a ‘partner.’ Joe Biden’s continued weakness and incompetence is unacceptable and shows a lack of fitness to lead as commander in chief. It’s clear we need a full investigation into Biden’s failed withdrawal from Afghanistan, yet our ‘leaders’ in Congress have been shamefully silent. It’s time for Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to put the American people over partisan politics. Biden’s misguided and dangerous decisions have costs lives and put Americans in grave danger. We need accountability NOW.”
Senator Scott expects the investigation to produce detailed explanations and all relevant and supporting intelligence and data to the following questions:
- After intelligence reports indicated an imminent threat at the Hamid Karzai International Airport, what actions were taken to protect the safety of American forces and neutralize the threat?
- Why was the withdrawal timeline expedited from the September 11 date set by President Biden earlier this year?
- What advice did our military leaders provide to President Biden and his national security team?
- What did the Biden administration do proactively to prepare for a successful withdrawal?
- Over the past two months, President Biden and members of his administration repeatedly said that the Taliban would not take over Afghanistan with the speed it did this month. What intelligence informed these statements and assurances made to the American people?
- Did any members of the intelligence community (IC), U.S. military as well as NATO partners supporting the mission, warn that the tragedy unfolding now could happen?
- Did any members of the IC, U.S. military as well as NATO partners supporting the mission, advise steps to be taken that were rejected?
- Did the Pentagon and the IC warn that the administration’s lack of U.S. air power in Afghanistan would risk a safe and orderly withdrawal?
- Whose advice did the president heed to maintain the timeline and the status of forces on the ground before Thursday, August 12?
Senator Scott has repeatedly called for accountability and answers for the Biden administration’s failures in Afghanistan, including for Leader Schumer and Speaker Pelosi to launch a bipartisan investigation into President Biden’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan:
- August 30, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Schumer & Pelosi’s Refusal to Act is Unacceptable; Congressional Investigation into Biden’s Afghanistan Failures Must Begin Now
- August 27, 2021: As Joe Biden Continues to Prove Himself Unfit as Commander in Chief, Cabinet Must Consider 25th Amendment.
- August 26, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Joe Biden’s Failure Has Cost American Lives
- August 25, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to President Biden: U.S. Must Ensure Safe Evacuation of All Americans & Allies Before Full Afghanistan Withdrawal
- August 20, 2021: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT… Sen. Rick Scott in Fox News: Biden's Afghanistan Disaster Calls into Question the President's Fitness to Lead
- August 19, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott Joins Sen. Jim Inhofe and Colleagues in Urging Biden to Devote 'All Means Necessary' To Evacuate Americans and Partners from Afghanistan
- August 18, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott Joins Sen. Marco Rubio and Colleagues in Letter to Sec Def Demanding Accountability for U.S. Military Equipment Abandoned in Afghanistan
- August 16, 2021: Schumer & Pelosi Must Immediately Launch Bipartisan, Bicameral Investigation into Biden’s Failed Afghanistan Withdrawal
- August 15, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Biden’s Failure in Afghanistan Let Terrorism Win