WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, following reports that military intelligence knew of an imminent threat before the terrorist attack at the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul that killed 13 American service members, Senator Rick Scott, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, is demanding accountability and again calling on Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to immediately launch a bipartisan and bicameral investigation into President Joe Biden’s failed withdrawal from Afghanistan that led to the deadliest day for U.S. troops in over a decade and continues to place service members, American citizens and our Afghan allies in danger. Senator Scott first called for a congressional investigation on August 16. Since this call, Leader Schumer and Speaker Pelosi have taken ZERO action to hold President Biden and his administration accountable for the clear and shocking failures we’ve witnessed in Afghanistan.
Senator Rick Scott said, “It has been two weeks since the world watched the Taliban take control of Afghanistan because of Joe Biden’s botched and poorly planned attempt to withdraw U.S. troops and evacuate Americans and our allies. This chaos created by Biden’s misguided and dangerous actions and decisions has led to the loss of 13 American service members and the endangerment of thousands of civilians, including Americans, in Kabul. It’s now clear that Biden knew of the imminent threat that led to this preventable and horrific loss. His abject failure, carelessness and incompetence has empowered terrorists and made our world a far more dangerous place.
“For two weeks I have called on Leader Schumer and Speaker Pelosi to launch a bipartisan and bicameral investigation into the Biden administration’s failed withdrawal of American forces. They’ve done absolutely nothing. Putting politics above reason and their duty to the American people, Schumer and Pelosi have stayed inexplicably silent and taken ZERO action to launch a much needed bipartisan and bicameral investigation. It’s clear that the intelligence community had several indications that this troop withdrawal would fail, but Biden and his administration chose to proceed and knowingly put lives at risk. That’s unacceptable. Schumer and Pelosi need to hold Joe Biden accountable for his egregious mistakes for the sake of the American people. It’s time to get them the answers and accountability they deserve.”
Senator Scott expects the investigation to produce detailed explanations and all relevant and supporting intelligence and data to the following questions:
- After intelligence reports indicated an imminent threat at the Hamid Karzai International Airport, what actions were taken to protect the safety of American forces and neutralize the threat?
- Why was the withdrawal timeline expedited from the September 11 date set by President Biden earlier this year?
- What advice did our military leaders provide to President Biden and his national security team?
- What did the Biden administration do proactively to prepare for a successful withdrawal?
- Over the past two months, President Biden and members of his administration repeatedly said that the Taliban would not take over Afghanistan with the speed it did this month. What intelligence informed these statements and assurances made to the American people?
- Did any members of the intelligence community (IC), U.S. military as well as NATO partners supporting the mission, warn that the tragedy unfolding now could happen?
- Did any members of the IC, U.S. military as well as NATO partners supporting the mission, advise steps to be taken that were rejected?
- Did the Pentagon and the IC warn that the administration’s lack of U.S. air power in Afghanistan would risk a safe and orderly withdrawal?
- Whose advice did the president heed to maintain the timeline and the status of forces on the ground before Thursday, August 12?
Senator Scott has repeatedly called for accountability and answers for the Biden administration’s failures in Afghanistan, including for Leader Schumer and Speaker Pelosi to launch a bipartisan investigation into President Biden’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan:
- August 27, 2021: As Joe Biden Continues to Prove Himself Unfit as Commander in Chief, Cabinet Must Consider 25th Amendment.
- August 26, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Joe Biden’s Failure Has Cost American Lives
- August 25, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott to President Biden: U.S. Must Ensure Safe Evacuation of All Americans & Allies Before Full Afghanistan Withdrawal
- August 20, 2021: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT… Sen. Rick Scott in Fox News: Biden's Afghanistan Disaster Calls into Question the President's Fitness to Lead
- August 19, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott Joins Sen. Jim Inhofe and Colleagues in Urging Biden to Devote 'All Means Necessary' To Evacuate Americans and Partners from Afghanistan
- August 18, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott Joins Sen. Marco Rubio and Colleagues in Letter to Sec Def Demanding Accountability for U.S. Military Equipment Abandoned in Afghanistan
- August 16, 2021: Schumer & Pelosi Must Immediately Launch Bipartisan, Bicameral Investigation into Biden’s Failed Afghanistan Withdrawal
- August 15, 2021: Sen. Rick Scott: Biden’s Failure in Afghanistan Let Terrorism Win