WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Senator Rick Scott was named Ranking Member of Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel. Moreover, Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) Chairman Jack Reed (D-RI) and Ranking Member Roger Wicker (R-MS) announced SASC subcommittee assignments for the 118th Congress. In addition to his responsibilities as Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Personnel, Senator Rick Scott will serve on the Subcommittee on Airland and the Subcommittee on Seapower.
Senator Rick Scott said, “Florida is proud to be the place where 21 military installations, three unified commands, nearly 67,000 active duty members, 36,000 reservists and over 1.5 million veterans call home. As Ranking Member on the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee for Personnel, I am looking forward to working with my colleagues to come to solutions that have a direct positive impact on the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for our great country and their families that support that mission each and every day. There are critical issues, from housing to childcare to military health care that are in desperate need of improvement and deserve the full attention of this committee and the Congress. As Ranking Member, I’ll be fighting harder than ever to make sure the Sunshine State, America’s national security initiatives, our military, veterans and their families are supported, and I want to thank Chairman Reed and Ranking Member Wicker for this great honor.”
In a joint statement, Senators Reed and Wicker said, “The Senate Armed Services Committee is driven by a fundamental, bipartisan mission: providing for America’s common defense. Among the committee’s 25 members and seven subcommittees, we share a proud tradition of working together to provide our servicemembers, their families, and defense civilians with the resources they need to defend our nation. We are pleased to welcome several new subcommittee Chairs and Ranking Members, and we look forward to a highly productive session.”
Senator Rick Scott’s subcommittee assignments include:
- Subcommittee on Personnel (9 members)
- Chairwoman: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
- Ranking Member: Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL)
- Responsibilities: Military and DOD civilian personnel policies; end strengths for military personnel; military personnel compensation and benefits; military health care; and military nominations.
- Special additional areas: Professional Military Education; DOD schools; DOD child care and family assistance; civil-military programs; POW/MIA issues; Armed Forces Retirement Home; Morale, Welfare and Recreation; military commissaries and exchanges; and financial literacy and DOD implementation of the Military Lending Act.
- Subcommittee Members: Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA), Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Sen. Mike Rounds (R-SD), Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-AK), Sen. Ted Budd (R-NC)
- Subcommittee on Airland (11 members)
- Chairman: Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ)
- Ranking Member: Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR)
- Responsibilities: Army planning and operations policy and programs (less space, cyber, and special operations); and Air Force planning and operations policy and programs (less nuclear weapons, space, cyber, and special operations).
- Special additional area: National Guard and Reserve planning and operations policy and equipment.
- Subcommittee Members: Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sen. Angus King (I-ME), Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI), Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Sen. Deb Fischer (R-NE), Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA), Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL), Sen. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK)
- Subcommittee on Seapower (11 members)
- Chairman: Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA)
- Ranking Member: Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-ND)
- Responsibilities: Navy planning and operations policy and programs (less nuclear weapons, space, cyber, and special operations); and Marine Corps planning and operations policy and programs (less space, cyber, and special operations).
- Special additional areas: Maritime issues.
- Subcommittee Members: Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sen. Angus King (I-ME), Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI), Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-AK), Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL), Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL), Sen. Eric Schmitt (R-MO)