WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Rick Scott announced several amendments to the Democrats’ massive and reckless $5.5 trillion tax-and-spending spree which is estimated to drive the federal debt to more than $45,000,000,000,000 by 2031 – a more than $15,000,000,000,000 increase in just 10 years. Senator Scott has been clear that the Democrats’ reckless spending is throwing gas on President Biden’s raging inflation crisis, and only serves to fulfill their liberal wish list by adding to our nation’s nearly $30 trillion federal debt and raising taxes on American families.
Senator Rick Scott said, “Families in Florida and across our nation are struggling with higher prices on gas, groceries and everyday goods thanks to President Biden’s raging inflation crisis and Democrats’ socialist agenda of handouts and reckless spending. We know that reckless government spending fuels inflation, but even as America nears $30 trillion in debt, President Biden, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are letting Bernie Sanders lead them in $5.5 trillion in even more reckless spending. Bernie Sanders’ budget puts American families on the hook for his socialist agenda, further fueling inflation as it grows America’s debt to $45 TRILLION over the coming decade.
“The Democrats have made clear that they don’t care about the impacts of their spending on American families – if it takes higher taxes, even more inflation and crippling federal debt that mortgages the futures of our kids and grandkids, Democrats say, ‘so be it.’ We can’t afford this and families can’t afford even more inflation. We need to make Washington work for Florida families. That’s why I am fighting for amendments to protect families from rising inflation and tax hikes, hold Congress and the Biden administration accountable for its reckless spending and put America on a sustainable path for future success.”
Senator Scott’s amendments to the Democrats’ tax-and-spend agenda include:
- Protecting families against rising inflation with an amendment recognizing that continued reckless and wasteful spending by the federal government significantly contributes to and fuels rising inflation, increasing prices and disproportionately harming poor and fixed-income families across America.
- Protecting Floridians’ hard-earned taxpayer dollars by preventing any tax or fee hikes on Americans throughout the fiscal year.
- Opposing any suspension or increase of the debt ceiling without structural change with an amendment that any increase in the debt ceiling should be accompanied by cuts in federal spending of an equal or greater amount as the debt ceiling increase, or meaningful structural reform in spending.
- Prohibiting American taxpayer dollars from funding political campaigns, attack ads, or candidate salaries for candidates running for local, state or federal office.
- Standing up for freedom and democracy in Cuba by ensuring the United States does not return to the Obama/Biden-era appeasement policies toward communist Cuba, which did nothing to help the Cuban people, and instead propped up the dangerous illegitimate communist Cuban regime.
- Getting Americans back to work by ensuring work requirements for federal benefits are not waived, and that the federal government isn’t creating a perverse disincentive for Americans trying to support their families to return to work by paying them more to stay home.