WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Rick Scott released the following statement after the Senate Armed Services Committee passed the Fiscal Year 2022 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which includes nearly $778 billion in defense spending, a $25 billion increase over President Joe Biden’s inadequate budget request, and protects national security by prioritizing the next generation technology and capability of Florida’s F-35 squadrons – which are critical to Tyndall Air Force Base and Florida’s panhandle communities.
Senator Rick Scott said, “Florida has 20 military bases and three unified commands, more than almost any other state, and we know how important our military readiness is to America’s national security. As the United States faces increasing threats from Communist China and other adversaries around the world, it is critical that the U.S. military has every resource needed to protect America’s interests and our national security, as well as those of our allies. As a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, I ensured that this year’s National Defense Authorization Act included big wins for Florida’s military interests, and our national military readiness and security. I was also proud to work with Senator Marco Rubio to ensure that Tyndall Air Force Base, which is being reconstructed after Hurricane Michael as a strategic hub of the future for F-35 based air warfare, has all the resources it needs to continue this critical mission. I will never stop fighting to put national security first, protect Florida and ensure that America’s military remains the world’s most lethal fighting force as it works to defend our freedoms.”
The 2022 NDAA includes:
- $777.9 billion in national defense spending - $25 billion above President Biden’s inadequate request;
- A 2.7% pay raise for America’s brave men and women in uniform;
- Critical funding to support the continued mission of F-35 squadrons at Tyndall Air Force Base;
- Funding and resources to improve military readiness and protect against threats from America’s enemies, including Communist China; and
- Key support for America’s allies, including Taiwan and Israel.