WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Rick Scott and colleagues introduced the Save Democracy Act to improve our election system and restore confidence in our nation’s democracy. The legislation creates much needed national standards and guidelines to safeguard the accuracy and integrity of our election system and prevent fraud. Senators Cindy Hyde-Smith, John Barrasso and Cynthia Lummis are also co-sponsors of the bill.
Senator Rick Scott said, “The United States is a beacon of democracy in the world, and free and fair elections are one of the guiding principles our nation was founded on. However, if the American people don’t have confidence in our elections, we don’t have a true democracy. What we saw this past election was confusion and chaos caused by inconsistent standards and last minute changes to established election laws by state officials and activist judges. It’s now more clear than ever that there is a serious need for major reforms to our election systems. The Save Democracy Act establishes common sense, nation-wide standards and requirements for voter ID, mail-in ballots and vote counting. To restore confidence in our elections, we need consistency and the ability to ensure accurate and timely election results. I look forward to my colleagues joining in this effort to help our country move forward, restore public trust and protect the democracy our nation cherishes.”
Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith said, “Broad participation in the American electoral process is not only ideal, but necessary. At the same time, everyone needs to have confidence that our elections are conducted in a consistent and transparent manner. Setting basic federal standards would go far to begin restoring public trust in the integrity of our elections, and, I believe, encourage more citizens to participate in our democratic process.”
Senator John Barrasso said, “The right to vote in America is sacred. Americans deserve confidence that our elections will always be both fair and transparent. This Save Democracy Act makes important reforms that will increase efficiency, security, and certainty in our voting process nationwide.”
Republican Study Committee Chairman Jim Banks said, “We have a crisis of faith in our electoral process, and maybe Congress’s most important job in 2021 is to restore that trust. The Save Democracy Act is a way for Congress to go beyond reassurance and prove that our elections are secure. Americans know common-sense reforms like citizenship verification and poll-watchers will make our elections safer. Democrats’ election bill, H.R. 1, would do the opposite by banning things like signature verification for absentee ballots. The contrast between each party’s agenda has never been clearer.”
Heritage Action Executive Director Jessica Anderson said, "I applaud Senator Scott for putting forward common-sense, targeted reforms to help protect the integrity of our federal elections and the sanctity of the vote. The Save Democracy Act will protect against fraud and restore American's confidence in our election systems while respecting the state's sovereignty.”
FreedomWorks President Adam Brandon said, "FreedomWorks thanks Senator Rick Scott for taking on the crucial task of ensuring the integrity of our nation's elections. The Save Democracy Act can also serve as an exemplar for states to use in making their own electoral reforms, so that every American citizen can feel confident in our democratic process.”
Family Policy Alliance Vice President of Strategy Autumn Leva said, “Fair elections are foundational to our democracy and to the American way of life. After the most divisive election in modern history, the time is ripe for real reform and legislative solutions. Sen. Scott’s ‘Save Democracy Act’ offers just that – from voter ID requirements to absentee ballot reforms to vote counting standards – this legislation is needed now. Family Policy Alliance wholeheartedly endorses the ‘Save Democracy Act’ because all Americans must have faith in our election processes.”
The Save Democracy Act includes the following provisions:
Promoting Integrity in Voter Registration
- Protects the integrity of voter rolls by prohibiting automatic voter registration for federal elections.
- Requires citizenship verification to register to vote in federal elections.
- Requires full Social Security Numbers to register to vote in federal elections.
Enhancing Security in Casting of Ballots
- Mandates that states only deliver an absentee ballot to a voter who has requested one for federal elections.
- Enhances security by allowing only the voter, an election official, or the post office to submit a ballot to a polling location.
- Bars the use of unmonitored ballot collection boxes in federal elections.
- Requires that absentee ballots are received by the close of Election Day.
- Maintains current protections for military and overseas voters.
Improving Accuracy in Tabulation of Ballots
- Requires that at least two representatives of each Presidential campaign in a general election are permitted to observe polls and vote counting operations.
- Requires that ballot counting, once begun, must continue until completed—no delays or pauses.
- Requires the audit of ballot tabulation systems within the 30-day period following a federal election.
The Save Democracy Act is available HERE.