WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, during the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs hearing on the Unprecedented Migration at the U.S. Southern Border, Senator Rick Scott spoke on Congress’ unacceptable inaction to address the crisis at the border.
Watch the video HERE or below.
During the hearing, Senator Rick Scott, addressing officials from Customs & Border Protection, said, “I’m disgusted by the way Congress has handled all this. You couldn’t make this up. We don’t want to secure our border, then people want to complain that you’re not doing your job.… I’ve been here six months. I’m disgusted that we sit here and you watch on the news where people are trying to do their job get attacked while Congress sits here and doesn’t do their job. It’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen in my entire career, my business career - you wouldn’t do this in your business career.”
Senator Scott also asked the witnesses from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement the following questions:
- “What do you need Congress to do to allow you to do the job you were actually hired to do, rather than the job you’re having to do today because Congress has not acted?”
- “Do either of you believe we need to have more border protection? Do we need any funding to secure the border? Because this wouldn’t be happening if we had a secure border.”
- “How does it make you feel when you get asked questions to suggest that you or your team doesn’t care about these children you’re taking care of? How do you all feel every day when you get up and read the papers and see the news where somebody suggests you’re not doing your job?”
- “How does it impact your ability to recruit and retain your team to do this job?”
- “Do you have concerns when you do your job every day, that because of how much time you’re having to spend because Congress won’t act, we have individuals that cross our border that want to harm Americans?”