WASHINGTON, D.C. – Yesterday, Senate Democrats blocked Senator Rick Scott’s amendment to Representative Diaz-Balart’s House-passed TPS bill that would immediately grant TPS to Venezuelans and make real reforms to the broken program.
Read more HERE or watch the video below.
Senator Scott’s amendment to Rep. Diaz-Balart’s House-passed TPS bill:
- Grants TPS to Venezuelans for 18 months;
- Requires Congressional approval for TPS extensions, no more than 18 months at a time;
- Limits the ability of illegal aliens with no connection to the TPS designation to benefit from TPS;
- Ensures that human rights violators identified under the Magnitsky Act are not eligible for TPS;
- Includes provisions to distinguish that TPS does not count as an admission for purposes of the Immigration and Nationality Act;
- Prevents TPS recipients from returning to the TPS country during the period of designation;
- And requires current TPS designations will come up for Congressional review two years after the enactment of this amendment.