What are Congressional military academy nominations?
Members of Congress are authorized by law to nominate candidates for appointment to four U.S. service academies. These schools are the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment. In addition to requesting a nomination from a Member of Congress or another nominating official, an individual seeking appointment to a service academy must separately apply to the service academies to which he or she seeks to be appointed.
What are the eligibility requirements?
To qualify for a military academy, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship: U.S. citizen or national;
- Must be a Florida resident;
- Age: At least 17 years of age and not yet 23 years old on July 1 of the year the applicant would enter an academy (25 years old for USMMA);
- Dependent Status: Unmarried; Not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Meet the academic, physical, and medical requirements of the Military academies
What documents are required in my nomination application?
The following documents must be completed and submitted no later than August 30th, 2019:
- Completed Questionnaire
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation - 1 Faculty Member and 1 Community Member
- High School Transcript
- SAT/ACT Scores
- To directly submit your SAT/ACT test scores to Senator Rick Scott's office, please use the SAT test code of 0220 and ACT test code of 7118.
- Special Note: The SAT access code 0220 may appear as "Senator Bill Nelson". Please do not be alarmed by this identification. College Board is in the process of updating the external codification of the SAT access code 0220. Internally, the access code is affiliated with our office. We are actively working with College Board to address the situation. Please submit your test scores using the following access codes: SAT 0220/ ACT 7118.
- 2x2 Headshot
What is the timeline for the nomination process?
- August 30, 2019 Deadline to submit application and required documents
- September 1 - November 29, 2019 Applicant Interviews conducted
- January 31, 2020 - Congressional Nominations Deadline
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.